Blue light is not a new concept, however, the pervasiveness of it in our daily lives has increased considerably in recent times. The widespread use of devices that emit blue light, such as smartphones, tablets, laptops, and computers is continually being exposed to a human. Commonly used in households the blue light nowadays has a significant percentage of the users around the world, especially affecting people living in urban areas. Given a situation like this, the use of sunglasses and blue light glasses Melbourne may prove to be beneficial.
Blue light glass and hormone regulation:
- An increase in melatonin production is controlled
The hormone that helps in controlling the daily natural rhythm of the human body is called melatonin. Melatonin level decreases with exposure to sunlight and is released in the body after sunset. The natural rise and fall of this hormone level in the body are hugely affected by exposure to artificial blue light as well. One benefit of using blue light glasses in Melbourne is to help the body maintain a balanced natural melatonin level. Optimum melatonin level induces better sleep at night.
- Control release of cortisol hormone
Similar to the melatonin hormone, cortisol is mainly responsible for maintaining the blood sugar and blood pressure level in the human body. It is also known as the stress-inducing hormone as its excess production indicates that the body is under stress. Cortisol release is more in the morning and its level falls during the day. Blue light exposure causes this hormone level to fluctuate to a considerable extent.
There are many benefits of wearing blue light glasses in Melbourne, such as:
- Glasses with blue light blocking technology can reduce some of the harmful effects of using digital devices, such as damage to the eyes due to digital device syndrome. Blue light glasses do not require a doctor’s prescription or a medical eye test and regular use can help reduce digital eye strain and headaches.
- One harmful impact of continuous blue light exposure is disturbed sleep patterns. These high-frequency lights create increased alertness in the body, thereby delaying melatonin secretion, a very important factor in inducing sleep. Regular use of blue light glasses in Melbourne can help relax the eyes and induce better sleep. Though it is advisable to cut off screen time at least a couple of hours prior to bedtime.
- Age-related macular degeneration or AMD is a condition where a part of the retina is damaged and can cause blindness. Blue light glasses are proven to be effective in delaying, if not completely avoid the condition. Patients with AMD generally retain their peripheral vision but gradually lose the central vision which means they are unable to detect the finer details of an object that are either very close or placed far away. Though there may be many other causes of AMD, extensive exposure to blue light is found to be a key factor for this degenerative condition. Since blue light can penetrate into the retina, regular usage of blue light glasses in Melbourne can help reduce this problem to a considerable extent.
- Circadian rhythm disruptions, especially affecting night shift workers, are a major cause of critical physical ailments such as cancer, cardiac problems, obesity, digestive issues, and many more. Some research in this area has shown that blue light glasses help regulate the internal body clock and give protection against fatal health problems.
As more time is spent on screen in today’s technology-driven environment, it has become all the more important to understand the long-term impact of blue light on our health. Research shows that approximately six out of every ten adults suffer from digital eye strain, characterized by symptoms such as headaches, dry eyes, and blurry vision. With the help of protective measures such as blue light glasses Melbourne, the discomforts due to eye strain can be alleviated to a great extent.