Rise and Shine Campers! Maker Camp kicks off today!
Grab your virtual sleeping bag, Maker Camp 2015 officially launched this morning! Today marks the start of the fourth year of the program, which is a free, 6-week virtual summer camp.
Even though we usually promote getting the kids outside, this camp is a great hands on learning resource to keep your kids engaged and learning this summer.
Here’s a fun summer camp that your kids can do from home with hands on crafts, learning, tech and DIY:
- Maker Camp remains a bright spot in tech and education for kids 8-12 years old:
- It was specifically created for young Makers interested in hacking, tech, DIY, making, creating, crafting, tinkering and learning.
- The program demonstrates how technology is shaping the way this generation of children learn through hands-on experiences outside of the traditional classroom.
- Even Arne Duncan, the United States Secretary of Education is behind using makerspaces to engage and teach kids more through science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics (STEAM) education.
- It’s seeing huge growth year-over-year:
- In 2014 there were some 500 venues hosting Maker Camp, as of this morning, there were nearly 700.
- Since inception, the program has had over 1 million attendees across the United States.
- Past field trips have included behind-the-scenes access for kids at major companies including LEGO, NASA and Disney.