Top 5 Things for Families to See and Do in Oklahoma City, OK.
I bet you don’t think of Oklahoma City as a vacation destination; but, National Geographic named it one of the top 20 Best Trips 2015. That’s right, Oklahoma City is right up there with Choquequirao, Peru and Sark, Channel Islands; believe it or not. I had never even considered visiting Oklahoma until my husband got a job here last year but so far we have been very impressed and have had a lot of fun exploring the city. So whether you are considering a vacation or just just passing through, here are my family’s favorite things to see and do in Oklahoma City.
- Oklahoma City National Memorial – This was one of the first things we saw after moving to Oklahoma City. The Oklahoma City bombing happened when I was in high school and I remember it well. The memorial is beautiful and free of charge. The museum associated with the memorial does cost.
- Myriad Botanical Gardens – These gardens are located right in the heart of Oklahoma City and offers a wide variety of water features, sculptures, and a children’s garden. The gardens are free of charge except for the Crystal Bridge Tropical Conservatory. In the summer they have a splash pad right next to the children’s garden. We all need a little running around time and this is the prefect place for your kids.
- National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum – This museum offers a true taste of Oklahoma culture. We spent morning as a family and didn’t even see half of what was available. Many of the exhibits are family friendly and somewhat interactive. They have a Children’s Coral with interactive exhibits and plenty of outdoor space for getting a little energy out.
- Oklahoma City Zoo – I was told by a friend when we moved to Oklahoma City that the zoo here is one of the best he had ever visited. My first thought was that he must not have been to many zoos. I have been to the National Zoo in D.C., the San Diego Zoo and host of others, I didn’t think I would be that impressed. But I was wrong! This is such a fun zoo. We usually go in the mornings and the animals are always active. Our favorite exhibit is the elephants. You will have to visit yourself to find out why.
- Martin Park Nature Center – This is one of our favorite places in Oklahoma City. The nature center itself isn’t huge but it offers a fun look at Oklahoma’s ecosystems and native animals. There are two and a half miles of hiking trails, a wildlife viewing tower, a nature-inspired playground, bridges and, our favorite, a river. The setting for the river is what makes it unique. It weaves its way through beautiful Oklahoma red rock. We have spend many hot afternoons playing in this river.
Visit Oklahoma City
Hope ya’ll make it our way soon. You won’t regret it.