Running spikes for winter
I am in the process of training for my first 5K ever. I know, not much but I am so excited to be doing something new. I have run off and on my entire life but mostly just as a way to stay in shape; I never really had a desire to race. Last fall I stumbled upon a training program run through a local magazine and felt like I should give it a try. So after eight years of not running and many, many life changes, I decided it was time to start running again. And it was the best thing I could have done.
There are so many things in life that I can’t control. My kids don’t always behave. We moved this past summer to a new state. Life is full of unexpected twists and turns but being able to be active and working towards a goal has given me a sense of accomplishment. And it feels really good. I have never followed an official training program (probably because I wasn’t running races) and I was ready to pass it up. But using a training program has made such a difference. The schedule is already laid out, I don’t have to think about it. Training for a 5K is not extremely intense but it still takes work. The program breaks up the training into manageable goals and helps me feel like I am accomplishing something on the way to my bigger goal.
Now that you have a little of my background you can better understand how excited I was to be able to review the NANOspikes by Kahtoola. I have already paid for the 5K I am running in April and I don’t want to get sidelined for anything. By the way, I HATE working out at gyms and running on treadmills; so that is not an option for my training. We had our first ice storm of the year this past Monday and I was able to run outside and keep up with my training. I was extremely impressed with the NANOspikes. I did not even come close to slipping or falling and overall the spikes are comfortable.
- Size. They are small and not intrusive when wearing. It was almost just like running with only my tennis shoes.
- Ease of use. These are so easy to get on and off.
- Non-bulky. These only weigh 7.5 oz and don’t take up much room in my bag.
- Tote sack included.
- 1 year warranty included.
- The price is very reasonable.
- There is no information on their website about being able to replace the tungsten carbide spikes. It would be nice to replace the spikes instead of having to buy a completely new set.
- They put a little pressure on my toes. I only noticed it at the end of my run and it wasn’t painful. When I bought my new running shoes the salesman recommended buying a size bigger so that my toes wouldn’t jam into the front of the shoes when running. I imagine that helped there not be more pressure on my toes.
The one thing I cannot comment on is how long these will last. There is no indication of how many miles you can expect to get out of them.
Disclosure: I received a pair of NANOspikes by Kahtoola free of charge to facilitate this review but all opinions are my own.