30 Outdoor Activities for Families
It is officially summer for us and I am excited. I can’t think of a better way to spend the summer than . I rounded up 30 activities to help inspire your summer adventures, whether big or small.
Outdoors in Your Backyard
- Set up a movie theater in your backyard and watch nature-themed movie.
- Learn to identify a tree.
- Create a butterfly garden.
- Help the vanishing bees.
- Garden using succulents.
- Learn to ID animal tracks in your backyard or while camping.
- Make a nature journal and record what bugs & wildlife you encounter.
Beyond Your Doorstep
- Visit a zoo.
- Visit a living history site.
- Hike a volcano.
- Tour a cave.
- Visit a National Monument.
- Get binoculars for your next hike.
- Buy a camping cook book and try a new recipe on your next camping trip.
- Visit a nature center and learn something new about your area.
- Go snorkeling.
- Tour an apiary.
- Visit a National Park.
- Visit a state park.
- Read a book at your next picnic.
- Visit a botanical garden.
- Discover the Forest.
- Visit an aquarium.
- Explore a pond.
- Visit an arboretum.
- Learn to fish.
- Visit an aviary .
- Tour a local farm & learn about farm life.
- Visit a natural history museum.
Saving Money on Outdoor Activities
- Check out books from the library instead of buying them.
- The next free admission to National Park day is August 25th.
- Check for free or discounted events at local zoos, museum, state parks, etc.
- Give you kids simple chores to earn the money needed for activities.