This time of year makes me wish I were in Denmark. They celebrate Mid Summers Eve in true fashion by a witch burning on the beach (more on that later).
Would you believe that Danes eat more ice cream per capita than anywhere in the world?
But what I really miss is the ice cream, spelled “IS”. Whey is Danish ice cream superior to American ice cream? To start, it’s made from cream (and that makes everything better). Plus they put a dollop of this amazing stuff called “guf”. Guf is a marshmallow like substance that can be easily made at home.
Guf recipe for ice cream cones
* 100 g frozen strawberries
* 75 g sugar
* 50 g pasteurized egg whites
* 6 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
* 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1. Blend strawberries and sugar in a food processor for 3-4 min at high speed. Whip egg whites and sugar to a stiff meringue. Fold the strawberries and lemon juice into the meringue. Serve right away or keep very cool.
2. Tip: its important that the egg whites, bowl and utensils all be the same temperature to get good, stiff peaks. Also, to avoid salmonella risk, do not cheat and use unpasteurized eggs.
While researching for a recipe, I also came across a pre-made product Guf