My struggle to exercise with kids
This is a three part series, if you’re just joining us, start with the first post on sleep and read about my journey to eating right and tips and tools.
1. Sleep, 2. Eating Right, 3. Exercise. When two of these are out of balance, I feel pretty crummy. But if I can at least get two of these in my day, I feel pretty good. If I can do all three, I feel even better.
Today we’ll talk about number three, exercise:
3. Physical Fitness- I’ve found that my physical fitness is a barometer for my overall mental health.
For you this may have a different meaning that it does for me. That’s great! You prefer yoga or swimming, that’s great! We want to genuinely support all fitness levels and types. So, if what I do is different than what works for you, that’s ok.
Even though I prefer to get my exercise outside, I find that with the harsh winters in Utah, it’s hard to even get out with three kids. So, I go to the gym. I’m not a gym rat, but try to be consistent in going. Also, it helps to have a friend join you. It’s much more fun to sweat with a friend.
Side note – I really wish we lived in an area where we could conveniently walk to the grocery store, bank, pharmacy and school. They are are all pretty spread out, about a mile or two from us. I still try to walk as much as I can. I like to walk where there aren’t as many cars and we have a nice street where you can enjoy the trees and birds, too.
Here are a few ideas on how to get exercise with your kids:
1. Play a game of soccer with your kids outside
2. Go for a walk. Try adding hills to your routine. If you’re gearing up for hiking season, try wearing your baby carrier or child carrier on your walk. You might get funny looks, but you’ll be conditioning your body with the child strapped to you.
3. Visit your High School track. I like this because the tracks are usually fenced in and the kids can’t escape. It’s also fun to walk or run around the track with your kids.
4. Go for a hike
5. Go for a bike ride. There are lots of great bike carriers on the market that will even hold 2 kids!
I hope sharing my experience will help you, too!
What tips or advice you have for getting exercise with your kids