Last January during Learn to Ski and Snowboard Month, more than 153,000 children and adults took beginner lessons from professional instructors at 300+ resorts across the U.S. Including several of our own adventure kids. Most newcomers are introduced to the snow sports by a friend or family member, but after not being taught correctly, they grow frustrated. LSSM is trying to turn this into a positive experience, therefore ensuring repeat skier and snowboarders.
Don’t think you can’t learn just because you didn’t do it as a child or teen. It’s never too late. See how our Kristin Sokol learned to ski at 30.
Learn to Ski and Snowboard Month offerings at participating resorts vary, typically including a beginner lesson, lift ticket and rental equipment.
Examples of just-announced packages around the country include:
- Liberty Mountain Resort Packages: This Pennsylvania resort offers an affordable $90 per person package every Wednesday night in January, which includes one night lodging, hot breakfast, lift ticket, rental equipment and a beginner lesson.
- Early Season $25 Learn To Ski or Snowboard Package at Butternut: The package includes a beginner area lift ticket for the day, a 1.5 hour special learn to group lesson and rental equipment. Regular rate for this package is $75 any day.
- Mt. Hood Meadows Ski Resort: $75 learn to ski or snowboard package for ages 13 and older, which includes a beginner lift pass for our Wonder Carpet enclosed conveyer and Buttercup beginner lift, 2 hour lesson and equipment rental. Participants can upgrade to a two hour afternoon lesson for just $20 more.
- NY area ski resorts: Offering a $35 rental, lesson and lift package. http://www.
skiandsnowboardmonth.org/find- lessons/select-region/ northeast/new-york
- Ski New Hampshire Free Promotion: Consumers can register on the SkiNH.com website and choose a participating venue offering free lessons for beginners during the second full week in January.
- Ski Vermont January Beginner Package: Participating resorts in Vermont offer a reasonable lift, lesson and rental equipment program for beginners for only $29. Information will be posted at SkiVermont.com.
- Ski New Mexico Youth Package: Ski New Mexico is offering an affordable $30 lift, lesson, rental equipment package available for first-time youths ages 6 – 12 years at eight Alpine resorts and one cross-country venue run in conjunction with KOAT-7 TV.
- Ski Utah Promotions: All ski and snowboard areas in Utah participate though programs vary and details will be available on the SkiUtah.com website and SkiandSnowboardMonth.org cl
oser to January.
- Discover Michigan Program: Michigan, in partnership with McDonald’s, is offering a package including the lift, lesson and rental costing $20 – $40. Find coupons at participating McDonald’s restaurants in Michigan.
- Beech Mountain Skiing 101: The North Carolina property is offering a $101 package for ages 8 and up including a beginner lesson, helmet, rentals and one night of lodging.
- Cataloochee Drive, Slide and Stay Program: The property located in North Carolina is offering a two day package including 2 nights lodging, two days of lessons (one beginner and one follow up), marathon (open to close) lift tickets and ski or snowboard rentals for each day. The package also includes a $10 gas card per participant.
News, updates and more comprehensive resort package offerings will be continuously posted throughout the season at SkiSndSnowboardMonth.org.
Bring a Friend Challenge Prizes:
- A four-day trip provided by Ski Utah, including roundtrip airfare from Delta to Salt Lake City, 2002 Winter Olympics host Salt Lake City, four nights lodging, lift tickets, lessons, and equipment rentals at various mountains around Park City.
- A two-day vacation for two to Lake Placid and Whiteface Mountain, site of the 1932 and 1980 Winter Olympics. Package includes two nights at theHampton Inn and Suites and lift tickets.
- A three-night stay at Squaw Valley, host of the 1960 Winter Olympics, including lift tickets for two days, rental equipment and a lesson at either Squaw Valley or the sister slope, Alpine Meadows.
- A three-night stay at the Topnotch Resort in Stowe, VT, complete with lessons, life tickets, rental equipment, spa treatments and more!
- The Feelgood or Custom Snowboard from Burton.
- Skis from HEAD and RAMP.
Additional prizes will be posted on BringAFriend.org throughout the winter. Product winners will be drawn each week starting the first week in January while trip winners will be selected at the end.
Skiers and snowboarders are encouraged to bring as many new friends as possible. Those who introduce more than one person can qualify to be selected as Ambassadors (18 and above) or Champions (ages 13 – 17) of snow sports and entered to win a jacket from The North Face, a season pass for a local ski/snowboard area during the 2014-15 season and more.